Friday, April 13, 2012

review: Gone, Gone, Gone by Hannah Moskowitz

Gone, Gone, Gone by Hannah Moskowitz
April 17, 2012
Simon Pulse
Young Adult | Contemporary
Standalone
Pages: 272
Source/Format: Galley Grab/eGalley
Rating: 
Author's Website | Goodreads
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | IndieBound 
This book is being simultaneously released in hardcover and paperback! You should probably buy it in BOTH formats.


It's a year after 9/11. Sniper shootings throughout the D.C. area have everyone on edge, trying to make sense of the random acts of violence. Meanwhile, Craig and Lio are just trying to make sense of their lives. 

Craig's crushing on quiet, distant Lio, and preoccupied with what it meant when Lio kissed him...and if he'll do it again...and if kissing Lio will help him finally get over his ex-boyfriend, Cody. 

Lio feels most alive when he's with Craig. He forgets about his broken family, his dead brother, and the messed up world. But being with Craig means being vulnerable, and Lio will have to decide whether love is worth the risk. 

“Written with depth and heart and a quirky sweetness that I just adore. These are characters I will never forget. Fans of Will Grayson, Will Grayson will love this book.” –Amy Reed, author of Beautiful and Clean.



IN A SENTENCE:


Hannah Moskowitz is an author I will blindly buyI love her books and her writing style, the straight-up rawness of everything she writes; however, Gone, Gone, Gone was one book that didn't sway me like her others did. 


REVIEW:


Gone, Gone, Gone is a happily-ever-after type of book, like a fairytale. While it doesn’t start with “Once upon a time” (although, how cool would that be? Okay, I would have laughed if it did) it does end happily.

Gone, Gone, Gone takes place during the 2002 Washington D.C. sniper shootings. In 2002, I was still in elementary school, so before I heard Hannah talk about GGG, I hadn’t realized there were sniper shootings in D.C. Yeah, yeah, I know. :p

I had problems with this book. I liked it, but I didn’t enjoy it as much as Hannah’s other books.  I don’t know what that has to say about me, since her other books are twist-a-knife-in-your-heart type of books. And I honestly don’t know why I didn’t like this book as much. Lack of emotion for me? I don’t know.

 I liked the setting, especially since it was during the 2002 sniper shootings. It was interesting because everybody was so scared. *I* was getting scared. I liked that it’s LGBT-romance. You don’t see that a lot in YA. I liked it all, but… it just fell flat for me which makes me sad.

Craig and Lio, the main characters, have distinct voices but at times I couldn’t tell who was who. A lot of the time I set down a book in the middle of a chapter and leave it like that for a few hours up to a few days. That could be the problem I had with their voices. They’re also very well developed, and I like how slow-going their romance is. I really liked when Lio changed during the middle. It was like a complete 180 twist and it was awesome.

So, while this book didn’t exactly click with me, it might click with you! I think for first-time Hannah readers, you might want to pick up this book first and realize this is really the only happy ending book she has written and published. 


Have you read Gone, Gone, Gone? What did you think of it? If not, are you excited for it?


Other Bloggers' Reviews:


Magnet4Books Loved It
Phoebe North Recommended
Sean Wills 3 Stars 

6 comments:

  1. A happy ending from Hannah?? I still want to read it. I'm really curious about it. I was in 11th grade during the Sniper shootings. One of them happened at a gas station I used to go to all the time. Really scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @fakesteph, read it! Gone, Gone, Gone just wasn't for me, but I still want everybody to read it! and that is super scary. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. I understand you, when a book was supposed to be good with you but you somehow can't get into it, like there are feelings missing T_T I admit it, I haven't read anything by the author yet, but I am very interested in LGBT YA books. I soooo have to read Will Greyson, Will Greyson, Boy meets Boy and so on. They seem so interesting! <3

    Thanks for reviewing it, I'm adding it to my TBR right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sophie, I know! it made me sad that I didn't love it. :( but I DID love the LGBT MCs. they were the best. <3

    I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Hannah Moskowitz's Invincible Summer, so I'm looking forward to this. Sad you didn't enjoy it as much as you hoped, but hopefully I will. Thanks for the honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Iffath, I think I just like bittersweet ending books. I am a ruined soul. ;) I hope you enjoy GONE, GONE, GONE! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank YOU for leaving a comment. They make my day, not gonna lie. <3 I do comment back, so go ahead and leave a link to your blog. I also reply directly in the comments, so if you want to, be sure to check back!