Friday, March 30, 2012

Discovered This Week + Wrap Up (8)

Discovered This Week is a feature here at Gypsy Book Reviews! It's where I post all things book related that I've discovered this week, which is pretty baller, not gonna lie. HOWEVER. this isn't all book-related stuff I've found this week because let's face it, if I put it all into one post we'd be here for a while.



book cover of Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff

Oh my lanta, HOW AWESOME IS THIS COVER? I freaking love it. Please note: this is the UK cover of Stormdancer, not the US cover. But it's still kickass... I really hope the US cover is amazing, too! Also, head on over to Kristi's blog to enter to win a copy of Stormdancer!

book cover of A Want So Wicked by Suzanne Young, sequel to A Need So Beautifulbook cover of A Need So Beautiful by Suzanne Young Last year, I read A Want So Wicked and now, it's so close to coming out! (three months!) The very lovely Suzanne Young is hosting a giveaway for two winners in the US only for an arc of A Want So Wicked. All you have to do is answer the question: "A NEED SO BEAUTIFUL and A WANT SO WICKED are a duology, but if there was another book, what would you call it? Be clever."

I love that question! Mostly because I know what Suzanne would name the third book, but also because it's lovely to see what other people think of a name for another book! (also, won't tell, mostly because the third book hasn't--and maybe won't--sell.)


book cover of Velveteen by Daniel Marks

How much do I love this cover? SO MUCH. It was actually revealed a few weeks ago, but this week I got an egalley of it and am reading it and OH MY LANTA, GUYS. Velvet... VELVET IS MY GIRL. She is so flipping awesome, I don't even. How did I LIVE before Velvet? <3 


A little taste of Velveteen, and remember, this is from the ARC. It could and probably will change in the finished copy.
That was the trouble with the living. They didn't recognize that actions had consequences. And that was the real issue. It pissed Velvet off, royally. Almost as much as [Bonesaw]. He certainly acted without concern for the costs of his behavior. 
If only the asshole were dead, she thought. If only she could only manage to do it. 
Make him cut his own throat. (p. 60)
Velveteen by Daniel Marks comes out October 9, 2012 from Random House Children's! You can add it to your to-read list here on goodreads or pre-order it from Amazon or Barnes & Noble.





Love this trailer! Goddess Interrupted was really good, and you can read my review here.





This is a very interesting trailer for the trilogy; liked it and really can't wait for Bitterblue!





This one... fell flat for me. I guess I was hoping for a better trailer, but this one definitely makes me want to read The Immortal Rules.




There is still time for you to tweet for puffins. It's a great cause, and only takes up a minute of your time. All you have to do is copy and paste the following message on twitter and ta-da! You have helped save puffins.


The message to tweet: RT @WaldenPondPress In honor of #NEVERSINK by @wolvertonhill, help us support Audubon's Project Puffin! Every 100 RTs = 1 puffin adopted 


This week I reviewed...


book cover of Slide by Jill HathawaySlide by Jill Hathaway, which I found the mystery rather predictable, but enjoyable. Will be reading the sequel, though, because that premise TOTALLY hooks me. I mean, the killer sliding INTO VEE? Gah. How can that NOT be awesome? Will definitely have to see when I'm able to read the sequel! 


"SLIDE has a rather interesting premise, and definitely hooked me right away, but with a predictable mystery and 2D characters, it fell a little flat for me." Three stars. Slide hit shelves Tuesday, March 27. 


book cover of Fever by Lauren DeStefano, book two in the Chemical Garden trilogy
Lauren Destefano's sequel to the harrowing Wither, Fever was reviewed this week! I read it the first week of March and loved loved loved it! Can't wait for book three!! :) this series is just amazing. If you haven't read it yet, what are you WAITING for? Get on that right now! "ZOMG YOU GUYS. Fever is brilliant! Just… gah. BRILLIANT.  And totally creepy; I mean, I thought Wither was creepy, but Fever tops that." 4 1/2 stars. Fever hit shelves last month, February 21. Definitely should buy it if you haven't! 


Richelle Mead's Bloodlines, a spin off series of her ever popular Vampire Academy, received five stars from me. I was a little bit afraid to start this book because I *heart* Rose and VA, but lucky for me, I loved Bloodlines as much as Vampire Academy series!


There is still time to enter for a chance to win NEVERSINK by Barry Wolverton! This book I highly recommend, to people of all ages! If you're the least bit curious, you should definitely check it out--or enter my giveaway. Or do both.


You can also check out which book I'm desperately waiting on, and I even include a song that I start singing whenever I see the book's cover!


That's it for this week!

3 comments:

  1. OMG I am SO friggin excited for Velveteen, I just got approved for the galley and yeah...really wanna read it.

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, this post is full of win...

    That Stormdancer cover is sick! I can't wait to read that. It's totally my kind of book. I've been waiting on Velveteen for forever. I can't get much of an idea of what the girl is like from your excerpt, other than angry, but I'll judge for myself whenever I read it. Danny Marks wrote it! It has to be good.

    I'm excited about the other books, too, like The Immortal Rules, Bitterblue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Cait, read it now! I'm a little over halfway and AM FREAKING LOVING IT!

    @Cathy, well, Velvet is rather angry all the time. She has a reason, of course, but she has her soft moments! like with the love interest... *soft sigh* ALSO YES STORMDANCER. do you *KNOW* how long I've been waiting for a kickass book that busts apart genre AND audience?! (it's being published under an adult imprint, but I'll bet it'll be shelved under YA since a bunch of bloggers are putting it on their YA shelves on GRs. In fact, I thought it was YA until Jay Kristoff said it was an audience bender. LOVE!) Wait, I got lost in my parenthesis. What was I talking about? Oh, right: SO FREAKING LONG!

    TMR I can't wait to read, either, and Bitterblue! Trying desperately hard to win an ARC over at PenguinTeen's FB page... really hope I get one! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank YOU for leaving a comment. They make my day, not gonna lie. <3 I do comment back, so go ahead and leave a link to your blog. I also reply directly in the comments, so if you want to, be sure to check back!