Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Review: CARRIER OF THE MARK--Leigh Fallon

Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon | Carrier Trilogy #1 | October 4, 2011 by HarperTeen | 352 Pages | Three Stars | Source: ARC from publisher

Their love was meant to be.

When Megan Rosenberg moves to Ireland, everything in her life seems to fall into place. After growing up in America, she's surprised to find herself feeling at home in her new school. She connects with a group of friends, and she is instantly drawn to darkly handsome Adam DeRĂ­s.

But Megan is about to discover that her feelings for Adam are tied to a fate that was sealed long ago—and that the passion and power that brought them together could be their ultimate destruction.

REVIEW:
One look at its cover, and you’d think the perfect time to read Carrier of the Mark is when it’s rainy and cool. Truth. But anytime is the right time to read Carrier of the Mark. Oh, it is a delightful little read about the elements, but so much more: the romance and the unique setting and the Irish words come to make this a gorgeous read.

I was addicted to Carrier of the Mark. As soon as I started reading it, I couldn’t put it down. It haunted my thoughts. I needed to know what was happening. I read Carrier of the Mark late at night; I read it when my cousin was being a spaz; I read it when I was supposed to be doing homework. I read it whenever and wherever until I finished it. And the ending is wonderful. No cliffhanger.

That being said, holy crap, sometimes the dialogue is very cheesy and made me want to put my head through a wall. Dialogue is a tough thing to capture in writing (I honestly have no idea why) so I’m not dissing Leigh Fallon or anything, but there were times where the dialogue kept going for pages—just straight dialogue. And when Adam and Megan confess their feelings for each other? O_O HOLY CHEESEBALLS. I did not believe what Adam was saying. It felt straight out of a cheesy romance movie.

The insta-romance turns me off, too. Sometimes it works (like in Leah Clifford’s A Touch Mortal) but for Carrier of the Mark? Not so much. I really thought that Adam was going to turn around and say, “haha. Yeah right, like I’d date you” to Megan as soon as they hooked up. I was sure something was going to happen like that.

But once I started to believe it? It was good. I mean, there are times where I really doubted they loved each other. The reason why the romance between Bell and Edward in Twilight is so believable is how much they talk before they say, “I love you” and “Nothing can tear us apart.” That didn’t happen with Megan and Adam. It was Oh, I see you, but I’m going to ignore you until BAM! I tell you that I love you. Let’s snog.

Aside from that and the dialogue, it was a nice book to read. I can’t wait to read the sequels.
Do I recommend? I recommend for fans of Twilight. Not the whole saga, but the first book. I noticed Carrier of the Mark and Twilight have a lot in common—aside from the paranormal romance. Megan and Adam’s relationship is like Bella and Edward’s. If you liked Twilight, Carrier of the Mark is the book for you.

Author's Website | Amazon | Barnes & Noble | IndieBound

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank YOU for leaving a comment. They make my day, not gonna lie. <3 I do comment back, so go ahead and leave a link to your blog. I also reply directly in the comments, so if you want to, be sure to check back!