Thursday, September 8, 2011

Review: BEFORE I FALL by Lauren Oliver

BEFORE I FALL by Lauren Oliver | March 2, 2010 by HarperTeen | 470 Pages | 5 Stars | Source: Hardcover from The Epic Rat.



What if you had only one day to live?
What would you do?
Who would you kiss? 
And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all: the world's most crush-worthy boyfriend, three amazing best friends, and first pick of everything at Thomas Jefferson High—from the best table in the cafeteria to the choicest parking spot. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life.

Instead, it turns out to be her last.

Then she gets a second chance. Seven chances, in fact. Reliving her last day during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death—and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.

REVIEW: 

Wow. What a brilliant debut! I love Lauren Oliver, and this is my second book I've read from her (haha, as it should be, since she only has two published/out in the world books. I do have an ARC of Liesl & Po, and I'm very excited to dive into it!) 

All I knew about Before I Fall is 1) a lot of people liked it 2) A lot of people hated Sam and her group since they were bitches and 3) she has to relive the same day for seven days in a row. 

I freaking love this book, and Sam. I didn't find her mean or overall horrible in the beginning (some of the things Sam and her friends did make me sad). And I loved how Sam grew as a character over the story. 

Each day is different, which I love, because if it had been the same day over and over again, that would have been very boring to read. But it wasn't, and oh my god, it was addictive. I kept reading and reading and reading until there was nothing else to read. 

And what an ending. I'm not entirely sure I like it, but maybe it'll grow on me. What I really loved about this book was the friendship relationship between Sam and her friends. Lately YA is filled with sexual relationships that a friendship relationship book is amazing and I devour it (think LIKE MANDARIN by Kirsten Hubbard.) These books are amazing, and I loved how Oliver managed to grasp the friendship with this group of teens. Really, really loved that friendship dynamic. More of this, please?

1 comment:

  1. I've only read Delirium but I really want to read this one too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank YOU for leaving a comment. They make my day, not gonna lie. <3 I do comment back, so go ahead and leave a link to your blog. I also reply directly in the comments, so if you want to, be sure to check back!