Saturday, September 3, 2011

On My Wishlist (2)

On My Wishlist is a fun weekly event hosted by Book Chick City and runs every Saturday. It's where we list books we want, but haven't had the money to get. They can be old, new, or forthcoming. Want to join in? Go To Book Chick City to sign up, and you can learn more here. 


I've heard fantastic things about SILVER PHOENIX, and Cindy Pon is such a fun author to follow on twitter. Plus I love the hardcopy cover.


Silver Phoenix by Cindy Pon 
April 29, 2009 by Greenwillow (HarperCollins)
No one wanted Ai Ling. And deep down she is relieved—despite the dishonor she has brought upon her family—to be unbetrothed and free, not some stranger's subservient bride banished to the inner quarters.

But now, something is after her. Something terrifying—a force she cannot comprehend. And as pieces of the puzzle start to fit together, Ai Ling begins to understand that her journey to the Palace of Fragrant Dreams isn't only a quest to find her beloved father but a venture with stakes larger than she could have imagined.

Bravery, intelligence, the will to fight and fight hard . . . she will need all of these things. Just as she will need the new and mysterious power growing within her. She will also need help.

It is Chen Yong who finds her partly submerged and barely breathing at the edge of a deep lake. There is something of unspeakable evil trying to drag her under. On a quest of his own, Chen Yong offers that help . . . and perhaps more.



I really, really like the cover for THE WITCH'S DAUGHTER. I haven't heard much about it, but I'm still excited to read it. 


The Witch's Daughter by Paula Brackston
January 18, 2011 by Thomas Dunne Books

My name is Elizabeth Anne Hawksmith, and my age is three hundred and eighty-four years. Each new settlement asks for a new journal, and so this Book of Shadows begins…

In the spring of 1628, the Witchfinder of Wessex finds himself a true Witch. As Bess Hawksmith watches her mother swing from the Hanging Tree she knows that only one man can save her from the same fate at the hands of the panicked mob: the Warlock Gideon Masters, and his Book of Shadows. Secluded at his cottage in the woods, Gideon instructs Bess in the Craft, awakening formidable powers she didn’t know she had and making her immortal. She couldn't have foreseen that even now, centuries later, he would be hunting her across time, determined to claim payment for saving her life.

In present-day England, Elizabeth has built a quiet life for herself, tending her garden and selling herbs and oils at the local farmers' market. But her solitude abruptly ends when a teenage girl called Tegan starts hanging around. Against her better judgment, Elizabeth begins teaching Tegan the ways of the Hedge Witch, in the process awakening memories--and demons--long thought forgotten.

Part historical romance, part modern fantasy, The Witch’s Daughter is a fresh, compelling take on the magical, yet dangerous world of Witches. Readers will long remember the fiercely independent heroine who survives plagues, wars, and the heartbreak that comes with immortality to remain true to herself, and protect the protégé she comes to love.

Holy crap, I should just have this "On My Wishlist: Cover love edition" because EYES LIKE STARS is another cover I love! I really love the girl's hair, and the fairies flying around. Or whatever they are. 

Eyes like Stars by Lisa Mantchev
July 7, 2009 by Feiwell & Friends
All her world’s a stage.

Bertie Shakespeare Smith is not an actress, yet she lives in a theater. She’s not an orphan, but she has no parents. She knows every part, but she has no lines of her own. That is, until now.


Enter Stage Right

NATE. Dashing pirate. Will do anything to protect Bertie.

COBWEB, MOTH, MUSTARD SEED, and PEASEBLOSSOM. Four tiny and incredibly annoying fairies. BERTIE’S sidekicks.

ARIEL. Seductive air spirit and Bertie’s weakness. The symbol of impending doom.

BERTIE. Our heroine.

Welcome to the Théâtre Illuminata, where the actors of every play ever written can be found behind the curtain. They were born to play their parts, and are bound to the Théâtre by The Book—an ancient and magical tome of scripts. Bertie is not one of them, but they are her family—and she is about to lose them all and the only home she has ever known.



What's on your wishlist? 


P. S. I'm not actually here! I schedule this post in advance, and due to some timing, I'm away from internet for the weekend. I'll visit blogs when I get back, but in the meantime, comment below?

3 comments:

  1. Now those are some gorgeous covers! They all sound like interesting reads! I'll just add them all to my TBR list :D Great picks! New Follower.
    Amy's Wishlist
    Check out my Summer Favorties Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read Lisa Mantchev's series. They sound different and the covers are beautiful, especially the latest one. Hope you get them soon :-)


    On My Wishlist

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you put Silver Phoenix on there :) It's an awesome read!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank YOU for leaving a comment. They make my day, not gonna lie. <3 I do comment back, so go ahead and leave a link to your blog. I also reply directly in the comments, so if you want to, be sure to check back!